I think ...

... I've been enjoying a bit of a kick on iOS games this month after getting a new iPad. The platform is truly finding it's feet as a true gaming medium, as more and more developers get to grips with what these touch devices are good at and what they don't do so well. I mentioned Device 6 on the blog last month, and it wasn't alone in impressing me. Home and The Silent Age were both engaging point and click outings, and I think I've had as much fun with Sid Meier's Ace Patrol as I have with any other game this year. After avoiding the whole 'free running' genre of late for some reason (I guess Canabalt and Rayman Run were the early exceptions), Boson X totally hooked me ...

... I've also been having a lot of fun with Hearthstone. Magic-lite it may be, but it's fast-paced, fun and so well presented that it's a perfect little diversion for between the more serious gaming sessions. It has fit well with my current hankering for shorter play session outings ...

... being without my console at the moment as I prepare for the move, means that I haven't had the chance to try any of the season's big titles, although to be honest, only the latest Assassin's Creed was holding any real interest for me. Hopefully I'll get a chance to grab it and check it out at some stage in the future ...

... the new TV season is growing on me. After a slow start Sleepy Hollow is starting to find it's feet, and I'm enjoying Agents of SHIELD for what it is, although I do hope that it improves and adds some depth to the characters. I'm looking forward to see what Almost Human has up it's sleeve when it starts this month, and if it can fill the Fringe shaped gap in my viewing schedules. Person of Interest though is still the best weekly hour of TV for me at present. The new season just keeps getting better and better, and its characters interesting and compelling ...

... there was new Sandman! The first issue of Sandman Overture dropped, and after so many years it was great to hold a new issue in my hands. JH Williams' pages were spectacular, and while I'm not entirely sure what I expected from the first Sandman comics in nearly two decades, this felt right. The issue ending fold out section in particular stood out, with a two page spread at it's center that I'll leave it to you to discover for yourselves. I can't wait for more ...

... another long awaited project appeared last week with the movie version of Ender's Game hitting multiplexes across the country. Overall I think it ended up as a good movie adaptation of some pretty hard to cover material. It largely drops the politics and focuses firmly on Ender and the pressure upon him, which does make some of it play out a little flat, like a sci-fi high school drama about bullying, but it also means it never loses focus. Probably about as good as they could have done with such a well read novel. It also looks mightily impressive in IMAX, so its worth checking out on the big screen if you can ...


Comments