I think ...

... I am very pleasantly surprised by just how much they have improved with Final Fantasy XIV. If there is anything left of the original mess, it is hard to spot. The game mechanics are fun, the systems solid, and the world so much better than it's predecessor. It's a huge compliment to Square as to how effectively they have overhauled the game, and managed to integrate the expected features for a major MMO launch. I am having quite a bit of fun with it so far, and looking forward to exploring further ...

... I am totally hooked on Card Hunter. If you haven't checked it out yet, and fancy some turn based fun, then you should check it out. It has a neat style, some interesting mechanics, and doesn't hit you over the head with it's payment model. A few minor grumbles about card distribution aside, this is a great title for short sessions while still keeping your interest in the long term. It has layers of depth that really takes some time to truly appreciate, and the link to your gear adds a very Diablo style compulsion to opening reward chests ...

... also on the indie side of things I enjoyed my play through on The Swapper. It's a great looking, clever, albeit occasionally frustrating, puzzle outing (seriously, the later screens can end up in a mind bending level of obtuse difficulty). The games uses clones to allow you to navigate a series of atmospheric side-scrolling screens, as your character explores an abandoned space station, and the mystery of what happened there is slowly revealed.



It's a neat little experience if you like your puzzle games on the challenging side of things ...

... I finally managed to pick up Jonathon Hickman's The Manhattan Projects. I loved his earlier work, and for some reason this wasn't what I expected, but it's an excellently warped strip that I will definitely be following more closely! Hickman is one of the best talents currently writing in comics for me, and this is another great example ...

... not sure where I am with the new fall TV seasons just yet. Sleepy Hollow has potential, but is also, no pun intended, a little hollow so far, with fairly cardboard characters given it's decision to dive straight into the action rather than build mystery. I will however give it a chance to see where it goes. I liked the pilot for The Blacklist, but primarily for James Spader, who is his usual self, and the show itself seems like it will be fairly standard procedural stuff. The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D pilot showed flashes of the Whedon magic, but I'm not sold just yet, hopefully it develops well, with the character driven stories that his shows excel at. Still waiting for the show I have been most looking forward to, in Almost Human, so hoping that one hits ... 


Comments