I think ...

... I enjoyed playing through Dishonored. It was however a somewhat odd experience, in that I left feeling a little bit like some kind of difficult to define opportunity had been missed. While I usually don't dislike the whole silent protagonist thing, here it felt out of place. The game-play was indeed gloriously open ended, but the narrative is short and compact, and under those circumstances the hero not having a voice, not being an actual character, just seemed like a missing part of the game. In particular as there are parts where you would want your protagonist to react, be it in anger, joy, or frustration, and the blankness of the silent protagonist just doesn't do it justice. That said, the game-play is worth the investment and is as open to your whims and preferences as advertised. It is worth a play-through, I just couldn't shake the feeling it narrowly missed a greatness that we might have been talking about for years ...

... I also found time for a play through of The Unfinished Swan. It was also a game I have really enjoyed exploring, but feels ever so slightly under-cooked, at least for a core gamer audience. The various different ideas  pass fleetingly just when you start to have fun with them (The game is about more than just the paint splatting). That said, it is also wonderful. As a kids game it's exceptionally well paced, and wonderfully imaginative ... and for a long time Terry Gilliam fan like myself, his involvement in an interesting close to the game, just caps things off perfectly. It's worth exploring for a few hours, or introducing to any child-like units you may have in your life ...

... my online gaming is taking on a mech based theme this moth with Mech Warrior Online and Hawken competing for destructive robot based entertainment. I'm also spending a little more time on League of Legends and trying, and so far failing miserably, to find a melee champion that I enjoy playing. It seems I may be destined to stick to the mage types ...

... I'm really enjoying the new season of Persons of Interest. The premise may have been deceptively simple, but the characters click well and there is a great arching story bubbling underneath the weekly 'victim of the week', and I really appreciate the whole potentially sympathetic villain thing. With any luck the AI itself becomes more and more of a character ...







Comments

Anonymous said…
Hope you have fun in MWO.
To me its since DAOC the fĂ­rst game (outside of the sport genre) where i find fun in PVP.
I really hope they get the time to polish this yet still rough diamond and make the IP shine as deserved.

I dont play LOL but when i started with MMOs i started with melee classes.
But over the years i found less and less fun in playing punching balls.
Often mage classes have a greater diversity and more different play styles and allow for much more and deeper imagination while offering nice amounts of eyecandy on the screen.
I dont expect go back to melee classes ever...

Sad to see TSW getting such a low attention, the Quests are outstanding...though i feel strongly the "burnout" on Themepark MMOs and "traditional" endgame in me and will take an extended break from the genre.

I am curious where the mmo market is in 3, 4, 5 years...

Best Regards!