I think ...

... I am having an odd relationship with Guild Wars 2. I do enjoy the fluid nature of the game-play while I am playing, but seem to lack the motivation to log in compulsively. It might be a degree of fatigue with another content driven MMO but I'll play through some more and see if it grows on me. I think I may end up feeling the same way I did about first game - That it was a great PvP diversion for instanced play, and had PvE that I can pass on. The combination of the Guild Wars 2 and The Secret World has however firmly ingrained the preference for always being able to move and use abilities at the same time. When going back to playing the other MMOs I'm currently playing again (Rift and Everquest 2 in this case) I found myself getting constantly spammed with 'You can't do that while moving' style feedback! That might be a choice that becomes firmly locked into my preferences ...

... that my nostalgia senses are flaring a lot while playing the Planetside 2 beta. In fact the work-in-progress sequel currently captures both the good and the bad of the original. The experience is updated and immensely satisfactory, with all the progression and choices you would have wanted ... but ... I also fear that motivations for long term play and actual conquest might again be a little absent from proceedings. I am however having a lot of fun, and for now that's what is most important ... 

... I am really, really, enjoying the new season of Doctor Who. Some fantastic episodes so far, and I like Matt Smith's version of the Doctor more and more every time I see a new episode. I also love the way that you can already see the story threads that you know Mr Moffat is going to pull together somehow spectacularly at the end of the season ...

... looking forward to watching Dredd this weekend. At the very least, if I am lucky, it may finally scrub the memory of the previous movie version from my head ...

... I am not usually one for waxing lyrical about books on human behavior, even though the area fascinates me. Thinking, Fast and Slow, however is an exception. If you aren't already a psychology major, it will most likely change the way you think about yourself and other people. It really is an enlightening read. Thoroughly recommended ...


Comments

kudeldud said…
The pve-part of gw2 is indeed awfully dull. I especially dislike that there are no real quests, but only these (partly exremely silly) events. That way there simply is no atmosphere at all. I never get the feeling of diving into another world.

Only hanging around there till AoC gets some new contend anyway ^^
Kollar said…
I'm with ya on the GW2 being as boring as paint drying. The PVE side of things was massively disappointing. So much for all their much touted innovations. Nowhere to be seen. I am having a lot of fun in WvWvW, at least when its not a one sided slaughter. Now the longer games have started and they are matchmaking it is getting even better. I could see myself playing that quite a bit, but only because GW2 is Free to Play. I don't think I'd pay for it.
Craig Morrison said…
It's on the way!

In fact should be some cool previews very soon. Keep your eyes out for more details there next week!
Dogging said…
What I'm really missing in modern mmorpg's is the chance to get a spectacular rare item from dungeons. Today it's all about getting tokens, or a armor piece from a dungeon which has 20-30% to drop.

It's not the same as back in the old days, when there was maybe 0.1% chance for that superb mount or that sword that was better than raid gear to drop.

It seems most players today just do the fastest dungeons or the ones that provide most tokens per hour. Very few bother to seek out different dungeons.

It's not the same adventure for me atleast. I wish that there will be a dungeon one day that will give me the same feeling as back in the old days, the hope that item x will drop this time.
Dillengerz said…
I have to agree. Vanilla WoW actually did it quite well. There were always those rare drops that also turned up in addition to the 'regular' loot. I remember running the original ZG so many damn times trying to get that Raptor mount! Same with the undead mount, and the various other 0.0001% drops.

I think there should be both, and we need to drop the claims of entitlement. It is like it has all been sanitised now for the lowest common denominator who doesn't want chance to play any part in their rewards.