I think ...

... Diablo III was everything I expected. It was fun, a little shallow, polished, yet never short of enjoyable. You can't quite shake the feeling that you are being manipulated with a constant stream of positive reinforcement and rewards, your very own dungeon themed Skinner box as it were, but it never fails to be entertaining. In particular if you play co-op with friends. Of course, most of the gaming world already knows, since most of you are already playing judging from their record setting sales pace ...

... I have also been enjoying Fallen London for a while now, and the folk over at Rock, Paper, Shotgun had a good write up on it this week. It certainly isn't for everyone. It's a text adventure for a start, and insists on borrowing the 'energy' mechanic so popular in Facebook and social gaming, which unfortunately often drives you away just when the game gets interesting. It is however worth persevering if some eccentrically crafted storytelling is your thing. The standard of writing is good, and the stories suitably bizarre and odd ...

... what's more, as mentioned in the RPS article, the team behind Fallen London, Failbetter games, are aiming to launch Story Nexus soon, a tool that they hope will ultimately let users create their own text based worlds and adventure games. Things kick off in June apparently, and you can sign up for more information here ...

... as the TV seasons wind down (goodbye Dr House, I will kind of miss you) only two of the new shows this year really captured my imagination. Persons of Interest started strongly, as I mentioned here before, and continued with some great episodes throughout season one. Unlike Alcatraz, which really disappointed me, the characters were slowly peeled away and you connected to them. I will be waiting eagerly for season two. I also enjoyed Grimm, and its twisted take on fairy tales, although I have a few episodes at the end to catch up on still, probably good travel watching for me over the summer ...

... if the final, shorter, season of Fringe is a full on battle against invading Observers then count me in ...

... I am looking forward to the second season of Falling Skies, as one of the few who really enjoyed the first (although presumably there were enough of us since the show got renewed), and will be interested to see where they take it, after the unexpected end to season one ...

... I am really looking forward to Brian Woods The Massive. You can already pick up a digital one shot online, and you can catch a preview here ...


Comments

Anonymous said…
I played D3 with the Testkey as Basic Game and i dont think Diablo 3 is very entertaining.
Part of the reason may be i played D1 and D2 and its the same old stuff i have done for a decade or two.
Well, as most MMORPGs offer nothing more than D3 does i may play it with friends as actiony and colour flashing chatroom.

Is it worth the money?

Hell - NO!