Must Play: Bastion

If I had my way you wouldn't be reading this post, you would be playing through the rather excellent Bastion that has been released recently on the X-Box Arcade and PC via Steam. An isometric action RPG that borrows it's game-play straight from Diablo, Torchlight et al has been put together by Supergiant Games, and is simply one of the most enjoyable game experiences of recent memory.   

If anything I wished I had played more of it before the article last week about storytelling, as Bastion is a fantastic example of what I was talking about. Everything about it shows how having a great back-story, and creating a character for your world, then finding the right way to execute it alongside your game-play, can make the difference between a good game and a great game.

Bastion is a great game. It might not have anything you haven't seen before it terms of game-play, or as an action RPG, but it plays extremely smoothly and has more atmosphere and character than the vast majority of its peers. On one hand the story itself isn't even particularly original, but it is so well executed that you can't help but be drawn in. Everything just feels right, if I was being ultra cyncial I might say the basic mode plays a touch too easy, but that's a minor quibble (and one the game acknowledges as it also has a system that allows you to 'power up' the enemies if you wish to) because at just $15 I would unreservedly recommend the purchase.

Watch the trailer...then go check it out...



You won't regret it!


Comments

Driller said…
Bastion was awesome. I wish it was longer however, but at that price I guess we cant grumble too much.
AmandaP said…
I have not finished the game yet, but I am in love with the soundtrack. It is a great soundtrack. I paid extra on Steam for it and I do not regret it.
Breaker said…
Bastion was one of the best games I have played in a long, long, long time. I had that damn voice over in my head for days narrating my every-day actions in my mind :p :p