A decade of MMOs

I got the chance to contribute to a piece that Richard Aihoshi put together on MMORPG.com about the last decade in the genre. Richard was one of the first guys I worked for as an associate editor, back when I contributed to IGN, so I always look forward to the chance to work with him again on articles like this...and on a side note is someone I'll always be thankful for helping me along the road to...well...to where I am now (even if he is usually too modest to accept the praise!) so make sure you drop by and check out the full article here,. I think it's an interesting read with comment from Mythic co-founder Matt Frior and Erik Bethke from Zynga.

Comments

Peral said…
Great read. Your comment about the type of mechanics narrowing was very insightful for me. I had not really considered it like that, but you are 100% right. We do have less variety now than we had ten years ago. That is quite sad I think
TroyMaster said…
interesting opinions there. I am not sure that I would call what Zynga do as MMOs though, not the way that I refer to them anyway. Mafia Wars I hope is not the future of MMOs!
AmandaP said…
Really good article. MMORPG seems to be producing some better and more balanced articles since they brought more writers and contributors on board. As long as I steer clear of their forums it's almost becoming a site worth reading every week.